As you start on your cancer journey your nutritional needs will skyrocket. There are many nutrients that can help with detoxification, immune support, protection against tissue damage, digestive support and more.
The suggested diet and supplements below can be of great benefit in supporting you while you start on this journey. Always check with your health care professional prior to starting any supplement program.
Supporting Body Systems
- Immune support – sleep, clean food, detoxification
- Liver support – green foods, garlic and onion, herbal teas and milk thistle
- Lymph gland support – lymphatic massage, stair master, yoga, walking
- Bowel support – high fiber, pure water, probiotics and pre-biotics
Chemotherapy Diet Plan
- 20% of calories from fat such as salmon, flax seeds, olive oil and raw nuts and seeds.
- 50-60% of calories from complex carbohydrates ie cruciferous vegetables, antioxidant vegetables, leafy greens, fresh fruit, whole grains
- 20-30% of calories from protein ie: legumes, nuts, seeds, organic poultry and wild fish.
- Beverages: purified water, fresh organic fruit and vegetable juices, herbal teas and organic decaf coffee, occasional glass of organic red wine.
- Occasional foods: Cheese, dairy, red meat, sugar, alcohol and chocolate.
Diet for Detoxification of Chemotherapeutic Drugs
- Drink 4 8oz glasses of water, drink 4 glasses of herbal teas such as green tea, dandelion tea, burdock root tea and if possible, drink 32oz of fresh organic vegetable juice for at two days after treatment.
- Increase fiber in diet to 25-30 grams per day in the form of fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains.
- Daily have 1-2 cups of cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach and Brussel sprouts. These help the body excrete excess estrogen as well as chemo drugs.
- One serving daily of Collagen protein such as Vital Proteins (Restores damaged tissue)
- Booster foods one serving daily– seaweeds, garlic and onion, nutritional yeast, sprouted grains and seeds, powdered “green drinks” such as Barlean’s Greens.
Supplements for Chemotherapy
Before treatment: 10 days prior
- Vitamin E 1,600IU daily to prevent hair loss
- Vitamin C 3,000mg daily to protect collagen and increase anti-oxidant activity
- Vitamin A 10,000IU
- Zinc 20mg taken 3 times per day with meals to protect mucous membranes
- Melatonin .3-5mg taken prior to bed to help with insomnia
- Carotenoid, Flavonoid and Cruciferous compounds to support immune function and de-toxification.
- Vitamin E 400Iu daily may increase effectiveness
- Vitamin C 1,500mg daily may increase effectiveness
- Garlic 2-4 tablets daily may increase effectiveness
- Protein powder 2 Tablespoons daily with fresh vegetable juice
- Aloe Vera juice 2oz am and 2 oz pm to protect mucous membrane
- Carotenoid, Flavonoid and Cruciferous compounds may increase effectiveness
- Omega 3 fish oil 2,000mg per day to slow metastasis
- Carotenoid, Flavonoid and Cruciferous compounds to support immune function and de-toxification (broad spectrum antioxidant)
- Vitamin E 400IU daily for antioxidant activity (full spectrum)
- Vitamin C 3,000mg daily in divided dosages for antioxidant activity, liver de-toxification and immune support
- Aloe Vera juice 2oz am and 2oz pm to decrease inflammation in digestive tract and support stomach digestion.
- Multi-vitamin with trace minerals and essential fatty acids for broad spectrum immune support and de-toxification
- Black Current Oil – 1,000-2,000mg, important source of gamma-linoleic acid.
- Digestive enzymes and pro-biotics to restore proper digestion and intestinal flora.
- Milk Thistle – 250-500mg to support liver detox
- L-theanine 100-250mg – for stress
Bauman, Edward PhD, Nutrition in the Co-Management of Cancer, Institute for Educational Therapy, 1998, pgs 46-47
Bauman, Edward PhD, Confronting Cancer in Our Community, IET 1998, pgs 50-70
Rath, Mathias, M.D. Cancer, Cellular Health Series, 2002, pgs 40,5862
Block, Keith, M.D. Life Over Cancer, 2009, pgs. 74, 75
Block, Keith, M.D. Life Over Cancer, 2009 pg 48
About the Author: Chris McKee
Chris McKee is a Certified Nutritionist and Certified Diet Counselor with over 30 years of experience in whole-food cooking, healthy lifestyle coaching, individual nutritional counseling and speaking to 1,000’s of people about the role of good nutrition in preventing disease.
Chris is also a Certified Nutragenomix practitioner and this allows her to look deep into your genetic profile and personalize your nutrition program based on your unique genetic fingerprint.
She runs on-line courses including her 10 Day Clean Eating Challenge, 21 Days Prepping for the Keto Diet as well as her Hope 4 Cancer Recovery program.
Chris and her husband Ed love to travel, hence the name “The Nomadic Nutritionist”. She is a grandmother of four and a great-grandma of two! She loves to cook, explore new food finds, hike and fish.
Free Consultation with Chris Mckee
Schedule your FREE 15 minute consultation with Chris and see how she can help you!
We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.